Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas?

For the first time in memory, I've had the most unChristmassy Christmas.

Sure, there were dinners and drinks and parties and lots of food and the company of friends, but something was missing.

I'm sure the ongoing developments at work played a part in my mind being somewhat preoccupied with things non-festive. And yes, I know that you must learn to switch things off, but believe me when I say that the work stuff's pretty heavy-going. So much so that I wasn't excited about buying gifts or watching Christmas TV specials, or even organizing any get-togethers.

I'm grateful for my friends who included me in their celebrations, and if it weren't for them, I reckon I would've stayed home and watched really bad TV. Or that Confessions Tour DVD. Again.

But maybe my sorta losing the spirit of Christmas might be balanced by the great year that I've had. I'm thankful for many things this year: the chance to visit Bali (twice!), the return visit to the US, the new friends, the heartbreak, the clarity, the getting-over-it, the bonding, the partying, the realization of my family of friends in KL and beyond...so many things. 37's been a very good year, all things considered.

I honestly don't think I'll be making resolutions for the new year, but a recent DMC (deep, meaningful conversation) with a good friend brought up 3 maxims that I think would serve anyone good as daily guides -

1. Say it the way they can understand it
2. You do not have to be a hero
3. Respect and honour people for who they are

But then again, we were a bit hammered when we talked about this, so apply as you see fit.

No comments: