Thursday, January 24, 2008

Mumbai The Way...

I've been in Mumbai now for 3 days, with the first 2 days seeing me attend work meetings from 9am to 6pm. Long days.

Besides dinner at the local office on Tuesday night, I had not stepped out of the hotel since I arrived around midnight on Monday. Which is why today was nice.

I met with my friend Genesia for lunch and we've been hanging out all afternoon, catching up on the days and years of our lives. I'm currently in her apartment in Pali Hill (in the Bandra district) which has a nice view of the ocean (the Indian Ocean?).

It's been 10 years since I've seen Genesia, and the years have done nothing to weaken our friendship, forged through numerous phone calls between Bombay & Hong Kong over music play-lists, new releases and the wonderful ways we were planning to change youth music entertainment.

We were such young idealists.

Mumbai, or Bombay, if you will, is different and yet the same. Traffic's like nothing I've seen anywhere else. I had 3 near-crashes today but somehow I'm not bothered by it. There is order in the chaos. Which is strangely comforting.

Of course, being here made me think about Stephen and his many months here. I have newfound respect for him. Bombay, of Mumbai, if you will, is not easy for anyone who's never been to Asia before.

I might come back to Bombay and spend more time with Genesia and her family, and see more of the city. 2008's shaping up to be a traveling year. I'll keep you posted.



No comments: