Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Whaddya Mean By That?

Since I stopped working last Wednesday, I've noticed a rather curious thing.

Every conversation or chat that I have is underscored by an odd awareness of nuance. I'm hyper-sensitive to tone, choice of words and even, get this, lingering silence.

You should have seen how bothered I was when I asked a friend on MSN chat "How's the Madonna album selling?" and his response was a cold and solitary "Good." Followed by nothing else.

I was thisclose to calling him to clarify why he was being so vague. What the heck did he mean by that?

It's funny how the mind starts to fill up the quiet spaces in between when you do not have a deadline to meet, an appointment to keep or a meeting to get to.

I'm sure I'll get used to this, but just in case I get on your case, you'll know where it's coming from.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh the amount of friendships/relationships that just died out over the last 18 months for me since I've been jobless.

That silence and peace and freetime everybody craves isn't always what everybody needs, is it?

genesia said...

you've got amazing perspective jeff... most people would get the 'weirdlies' and then not see it for what it is... good on ya! i wish i had that sort of wisdom when a couple of my last jobs were through... it would have saved me a few comfort eating kilos... heheheee... how are you otherwise?