Saturday, March 7, 2009

Karma & The Cat

You might recall that about 2 weeks ago, in a fit of unhinged frustration over my cats fighting, I put my youngest cat into an animal carrier and released him to fend for himself. The reality of what I did hit me like a brick wall 2 days later, and I was really worried that I might never get over the guilt of abandoning a pet. I tried to make sense of my rash decision, but nothing stuck.

This evening, as I was headed out to get some dinner, I walked around to where I had left Alfie and to my surprise, and relief, he was there. Huddled, scared and slightly shell-shocked. He had been hiding out by the plants around the pool of the condo where my friends Andy & Jody live in. He was initially reluctant to come to me when I called him, but with Jody's help, Alfie ran out into a clearing, which made it easier for me to approach him and bring him home.

As I type this, he's sleeping in my lap, probably relieved to be out of the rain and cold, and hopefully not too traumatized from what I did to him 11 days ago. I'm gonna bring him to the vet in the morning, just so I know that he's OK. And maybe the vet can prescribe something that will calm him down from being super aggressive.

I hope I've corrected some of the negative karma by bringing Alfie back, but I also know I'll be thinking about this for a long time to come. I need to make adjustments to how I conduct my emotional housekeeping.

Alfie's back and a weight's been lifted off my chest, and I'm looking forward to having a proper night's sleep.

1 comment:

Rarebeet said...

I'm glad Alfie is home and I'm glad you are feeling better. Big man hugs!