Sunday, August 5, 2007

SingapoReality

So I'm back in Singapore for 3 days, checking out all the indie music action at Baybeats, and experiencing the theatrical Mercury Rev, and catching up with my lovely bunch of friends here.

The powers-that-be are working overtime to make Singapore a lot more vibrant and loose than the uptight city I left in December 1995. And a friend from my HK posse has upped and made Singapore his base - welcome to town, Andrew!

It's been an altogether fun weekend, what with the usual random bits thrown in, and it's making me rethink if this could be the place for me to reconnect with and eventually come back to. It's been almost 12 years, and lots have happened since then, including Singapore's very first Pride celebrations, IndigNation. Like I said, a lot has happened.

And then I came across a report on how a scheduled lecture by a Canadian professor on anti-gay laws, was banned by the authorities. The reason given for this was that it was "...contrary to public interest...". Right...

I'll leave you with a clip of Sir Ian McKellen, who was in Singapore not too long ago, being interviewed on a morning news program and being oh-so 'controversial'. Enjoy!

No comments: