Thursday, October 4, 2007

Let's Take A Pregnant Pause

2007 has been an interesting year for me - from dealing with emotional baggage that keeps coming around - like a misplaced bag on an airport baggage carousel - to rediscovering the beauty of self-emulsification (not as messy as it sounds), it's been an eventful years, with sweat, tears and lots of good music.

And this year is also noteworthy for the fact that I am surrounded by such wonderful, fertile women friends. 2 of them have given birth, 2 are due very soon and one just found out that she's pregnant. That's a record number of pregnancies for me in a year. Ever.

Which leads me to think about my very first friend who had a baby. June and I were classmates when we were 17-year old know-it-alls, and what started out as guarded friendliness has grown into a warm, mature and unconditional friendship over the past 20 years. We've seen each other go through crushes, family drama, heartbreak, coming out (me), medical allergies (her), and marriage (her again).

And then came Danial, her first-born son, who just turned 8. It was such a big deal for her and for me, because I felt a strange responsibility to him on some level. It's a beautiful thing to see him grow and question things and hearing about him saying "Mummy, I am so stressed!" is too cute for words, and too painful to think about.

And I'm super proud of June, who's been nothing but honest about her fears, open to what's best for her son and daughter, and strong in her convictions whatever the outcome may be.

Here's to all you life-givers - may you be strong and continue to keep it real for the kids, so that they'll be ready for life, no matter what comes along.

1 comment:

DramaMama said...

You made me sound sooo ermm...together. When you know the opposite is more closer to the truth! Love ya, babe.

PS: I knew I would never be able to live down that allergy episode at school! What drama! Oh wait, what's my online moniker again? xx