Sunday, October 7, 2007

My Baby's All Grown Up

5 years ago, just after I had moved to KL, I flew down to Singapore to audition new video jockeys (VJs) from my home town.

The day began at 10am and we saw something like 52 people by the time we wrapped at 6pm. It was a long, long day. I learned later on that the auditionees were sent by their modeling agencies, and they had not been informed that we were looking for presenters. I'll leave you to imagine the fun I had through the day's screening process.

There was a lovely young woman who just stood out from the rest of the crowd. Sarah was the 2nd person to walk through the studio door that day, and looked 14 even though she was 22. She was confident, well-spoken and thoroughly sweet. She had come back to Singapore after finishing university in the UK, and had sorta stumbled into modeling by accident.

We called her back for a 2nd audition and screen test in KL and roughly 3 months after we first met her, Sarah become the very first VJ we hired from Singapore. She was also a first-time presenter, so in a way, we discovered her, which made me feel very responsible for her.

The early days were tough as it was a steep learning curve for both of us: for me, it was taking charge of the operations at the channel, and for Sarah, it was transitioning from model to presenter for a regional audience, and the attendant highs and lows that came with the territory.

Over the months, through time spent talking about work and the dinners that we had, Sarah and I became very close and to this day, she holds a very special place in my heart. I am immensely proud of her in how she's grown up into a level-headed and funny woman, and in her role as a VJ/presenter.

We've grown closer over the past 5 years, through disagreements and drama, but we've never ever had a period where we could not be honest and just tell each other how we really felt about work and beyond. Well, it might have taken us (me, usually) a few weeks, but we've always had a very safe space where we could come back to.

Last week, Sarah told me that she was engaged and getting married to her boyfriend, Jien, who I'd known for a couple of years before I met Sarah. I cannot be happier for the 2 of them, and wish them nothing but continued honesty and love, and growth as a couple and as the wonderful people that they are.

Sarah, you've come a long way, baby, and I am so proud of you that I could explode! But I won't, cos you know, that's just messy.

No comments: