Tuesday, November 27, 2007

You Gotta Laugh

So I was in HK last week and on Friday, I made my way to Happy Hour at Club 97 in Lan Kwai Fong, for drinks and so-so people-watching. I was with my friend Ben and we were just joking about how the gathering of fellas was a truly blah experience.

About half an hour after we'd arrived, 2 guys, who looked ostensibly like a couple, right down to their matching outfits, walked in and parked themselves next to me at the bar. They were attractive, fit and out-of-towners (my guess). Then one-half of the duo, the one standing right next to me, turned and asked "Hi, can you recommend some bars or clubs to check out tonight?"

I gave them the details on where to head out to, and even showed them on the map that was in the guide book they had with them. I later learned that they lived in LA and were visiting HK after a work stopover in Tokyo.

The guy I was talking too was named Stefan, and he was born in HK but had moved to the States some 20 odd years ago. He's biracial and spoke fluent Cantonese, but looked kinda east European, so I didn't think he was part Asian.

And Stefan's boyfriend of 7 years was named, get this, Jeff, and they live in Orange County with their baby boy.

It was a random meeting, a easy-going chat, and we met again later in the evening at the club I had suggested. We had a great evening of music, drinks and great company. Stefan & Jeff. Too funny.

But not as funny as the London's Tube announcer who posted fake messages on her blog in the same style as what you'd hear on the trains. Her bosses found out and fired her. Her site, as you can imagined, has crashed from the worldwide interest in hearing her say things like


* "Would the passenger in the red shirt pretending to read the paper but who is actually staring at that woman's chest please stop. You are not fooling anyone, you filthy pervert."

What a star!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Biracial? Is that the expression these days?

Edwin Sumun said...

It's the term for someone who isn't fussy about:
1) his race
2) the race of he sleeps with

Does that mean I'm predominantly chiracial?

and you only comment of jeff's blog. wassup miks?

I have comments about that. I'll tell you later jeff :)