Friday, April 18, 2008

The End Of April. And Then Some...

For those of you who are waiting to read about all the stuff that's been going on - pop cultural tidbits aside - here's a summary:

1. I was told in late February that I'd be leaving my job at the end of April. Since that time, I've written to headhunters, followed up with contacts and friends for leads, and also looked at what other things I can do to occupy my time.

2. I'm getting extended panic attacks with the impending end-date looming large. Insomnia, phantom aches, restlessness - not fun. And they're kinda happening in slow motion, which is weird. I think it's stems partly from having a lot more free time and not quite knowing what to do. I will plan for a holiday at some point but for now, I'm becoming addicted to Prolific (online Boggle).

3. I'm aiming to get a job before Madonna turns 50 (August 16). Ok, so I'm being glib but I think August/September is a good goal to work towards.

4. I'm waiting to hear back about a possible new gig at the end of April. I'm also having an exploratory chat with another potential employer tomorrow while I'm in HK.

5. I made a cuddle friend. Totally weird. Intimate but not sexual. Well, not quite sexual. It's like all sweet and warm, with a side of foreplay thrown in. And no nudity. My intimacy issues have a huge problem with this but cuddle friend leaves in a couple of weeks, so I'm just learning what I can from this experience.

5. My employment pass to live in Malaysia expires at the end of April too, but I've got 4 weeks grace to do what I go. I don't wanna move out of KL permanently until I know what my next gig is. Which might mean I'll have to commute in and out of KL on my tourist visa. We'll see.

6. I'm strangely not feeling sad about leaving my job despite having been there for 12 years. On some levels, I knew it was time. It's also interesting how constant work conversations can lead to a familiarity that makes you think you're friends with people who are merely work associates, colleagues or worse, stupid. No loss to me, really.

7. I'm looking to start a company of my own. I'm looking at the various tax liabilities and associated costs involved. I haven't decided on anything concrete. I don't even know what to call the company. Should I even be doing this now?

8. I gotta head on to Bangkok to see my god-son Finn. The last time I saw him was when he was one-day old. I suck at this.

9. My friends rock. They've all been my super-delegates and it's good to know that they've given me enough space to spaz out, while being close enough to remind me to breathe.

10. Too much?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, Jeffers. Sounds like a pain in the bum. Looks like the dissolution hasn't been easy on many people save for the ones who got to move on to bigger brighter things.

It may sound trite, but I'm positive you'll have things figured out in due time. I totally get the "too much free time hence going a tad insane" feeling - I've been going through it ever since I left [V]. Sometimes I wonder if I should have just stayed on until I got my visa. Oh well, bygones.

I hope things go well for you and may we both have jobs long before August! x

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TaraZ said...

Sweetie, you can come do Pilates with me anytime. I'll help you to 'breathe'.... Besides that, "squeezing the orange" can be a great stress buster Im sure. Hope to see you soon. Until then - big hugs

mayakins said...

Hearts and Hugs Jeffers....