Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Half & Half

I was quite surprised to find out, only recently, that mixed marriages were technically illegal in the US until the Supreme Court ruled such a ban unconstitutional in 1967, in the landmark case of Loving versus Virginia. 1967? In the home of the brave and the land of the free?

See, I am a Chindian; my dad's Indian, and my mum's Chinese. Growing up, they were just Mum & Dad to me. Or rather, Mee and Dee (as in Mum-mee and Dad-dee. I still call them that today.) Race was never an issue in our household and as far as I can remember, we always had neighbours and friends of various racial and social backgrounds. My parents taught me to be aware of the different social customs and practices so that I would not inadvertently offend our guests when we went to visit. Simple, practical advice, yes?

As a child, I loved that my Saturdays were Chinese and my Sundays, Indian, ie. hanging out with the extended family. I loved that I celebrated both Chinese New Year and Deepavali. I loved that I was the darkest member of my Chinese family, and the fairest on my dad's side. I loved that I spoke 3 languages at home, and that I was welcomed everywhere. It didn't hurt that I was cute as hell...

One of my ongoing obsessions is seeking out other Chindians to see what they look like, to find out if they're more Chinese or Indian, or if they've found an interesting middle ground. I do this, I think, because unlike the Straits-born Chinese (my mum's people) who forged a unique 'hybridized' cultural identity, Chindians have not left behind any cultural heritage that's uniquely, well, Chindian.

Some of my friends think I'm weird and nosey for being so intent on discovering people's backgrounds. I guess, on some levels, it's just a curiosity about how we each find our way through life while juggling 2 (some might say) disparate identities in a noisy world.

And I know that people are people so why should it be, cos you and I should get along so awfully. Right?

ps: I have pharyngitis, not laryngitis. I'm much better today, thanks to drugs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Half babies are so cute... just look at you!

Anonymous said...

yeyyy depeche modeeeee!