Monday, July 16, 2007

We Begin At Goodbye

I saw Stephen off at the airport earlier this evening as he made his return journey to India.

It was sad to see him go because I will miss having him around. I recognize the connection that we have, I know it to be special. I've not met anyone like him for long as I can remember. Plus, I enjoyed playing host and learning to share my space with him.

Just how do you say goodbye to a friend who, in 4 short weeks, has reminded you to trust your instincts, to let yourself go and to be more aware of the present, to enjoy every moment for what it is and what it can be, to appreciate that there are no absolutes and that it's OK (seriously), to see that everyone has a right to be loved, valued and honored, to understand that fear and insecurity are not bad words, to recognize that morose is not a good colour on me (or anyone for that matter), to enjoy ice cream and supper at 1 in the morning, to learn that working out mixed emotions doesn't mean going cold turkey, to allow that we are all works-in-progress and that it's perfectly alright, to be confident in my own skin, and to accept that a random lunch meet-up can lead to a deep and meaningful connection?

I'm not planning on saying goodbye so I don't have the answer. And I'm glad for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know, I know - he's a hard habit to break! Think about how hard it was for me to lose him after seeing him everyday for two years???