Friday, October 26, 2007

Clarity In San Francisco

My 2-night stopover in San Francisco comes to an end in a couple of hours and I could not have asked for a better return visit.

SF was the first American city I visited 8 years ago in 1999. I had over-packed, was slightly over-planned in terms of my itinerary, and I was woefully under-dressed for July in San Francisco. I spent something like 11 days on my own, and also traveled down the coast to Half Moon Bay, Monterrey and even Carmel. It was a lonely trip framed with beautiful scenery. For some reason, I cannot find any of the few photos that I took on that visit.

8 years later, en route to LA (I fly out in a couple of hours), I thought I should come and say hi again. And the past 2 nights have been very nice - I walked around the city and found some of the places that I saw/ate at/hung out in 8 years ago, and it made me smile. Not much has changed, I guess, but then again, I don't have a local reference.

From Return To SF

I wasn't stressed out about anything this trip, and didn't feel like I had to fit everything in over a short period of time, which was what I did on my first visit. Maybe it's the confidence that I've gained over the intervening years that have seen me do a lot more traveling. Or perhaps it's just me feeling a whole lot more comfortable with myself.

Those of you who know me know that meeting Stephen earlier this year played a big part in re-awakening a side of me that had laid dormant (or suppressed?) for too long. It's a joyful, painful, challenging, reaffirming adventure that continues to inform my journey.

And I also became friends with his friends who came to Koh Samui for his 40th birthday - and this SF stopover reunited me with Keith, and gave me a chance to meet his wife - the lovely, lovely Marites, and their daughters, Anikka & Teah. I had a lovely home-cooked dinner in their cozy, cozy house in North Berkeley on my first night back in SF.

On the drive back to the city, Keith and I chatted some more about what's happened since we last met in June. As we talked, it dawned on me that on some levels, my trip to Koh Samui wasn't just to celebrate a friend turning 40.
It was to initiate new friendships that would give me new perspectives and a better handle of the man that I'm becoming. Good stuff.

I can't wait to see Maureen & Mike and of course, Stephen in LA.

No comments: