Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Random & Spaced

I had a random celebrity sighting as I was walking down Sunset Boulevard earlier this evening.

His name is Tahmoh Penikett, and he plays the popular character Helo on the new Battlestar Galactica, which has had quite a solid run on the Sci-Fi Channel in the US. The 5th (I think) and final season airs next year.

And on an equally random note, I just read that Fox is developing an American version of cult UK comedy series, Spaced.


Before there was Hot Fuzz, before there was Shaun Of The Dead, there was Spaced. Equal parts clever, funny, witty and random, Spaced only ran for 2 seasons on British TV, but the series is so well-written and pretty timeless that repeated viewings do nothing to dull it's tongue-in-cheek, movie-referencing, Star Wars-bashing sparkle.

Fans of the series will understand me when I call it fried gold. For the uninitiated, here's a sample of why I love Spaced:



I'm curious what the Americanization of Spaced will look like. Will it end up in the wilderness of failed TV ideas, or will it succeed the way The Office has in the US?

We'll see.

No comments: